Saturday, June 11, 2011

What Does the Edge Look Like

Most stories start at the beginning or at least what looks like the beginning. This story is going to start from where I am at right now.  Right now I am on the edge. "The edge of what?" you might wonder.  It could be the edge of a cliff, the edge of a knife...but it isn't, at least not in my mind.  It's the edge of my life.

 It's like this, for the last almost 48 years I have been traveling this road. It's been a bumpy road, it's had some really high peaks and some very deep valleys.  But it has been the same road with some twists and turns.  A couple of times there have been "forks" in the road but they usually just wind up being detours because, eventually I end up on the same road, until now.

It seems I have come to the end of this road, I have reached the edge.  As I look around me, I see the devastation I have left in my wake.  Those that have loved me the most, have suffered the worst.  I see the pain tattooed on their faces.  The fear, the need, I see it all now and I cannot believe that this will be my legacy.  I look ahead of me but that is unknown.  I seem to be faced with a choice.  I can stand here and twiddle my thumbs and feel sorry for myself and cry "Oh woe is me!" or I can jump.  I don't know how long the fall will be or how hard the landing will be or even where I will land, but I know that if I don't at least try, well, I will just be stuck here on the edge...

It doesn't seem like I really have much choice, I am going to have to jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment